It’s been almost ten months since Danya and I started this blog. Along the way Deanna joined us and improved the blog significantly, and not only visually. Each of us dedicated our talents and love for food, and together we were (allow me to brag for a moment) a winning combination. For these last ten days I have been going through a very difficult time due health issues in my family, and so I have decided to put my work on hold, including this blog, in order direct all of my time and efforts on my precious family. Working as a recipe developer requires creativity and thought, both of which I am just not capable of right now. Don’t worry, this blog will continue, with a new post each week, and I hope to come back once the color in my cheeks returns.
This week I’m sharing with you a delicious recipe for risotto with asparagus and rocket leaves. If you don’t like the bitter-mustardy taste of rocket leaves you can replace them with a handful of any other herb (such as parsley, basil, and cilantro) or even with baby spinach.
Don’t stop cooking.
With love, Shaily
Ingredients for 4 servings:
1 bundle of asparagus, ends trimmed
½ stick (2 oz.) butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1½ cups Arborio rice
Salt and fresh ground pepper
½ cup dry white wine
5 cups vegetable stock, warmed
½ cup heavy cream
1 cup rocket leaves, packed
1. Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove and place in a cold water bath to stop cooking process and to maintain the bright green color. If you don’t have vegetable stock you can use the blanching water instead.
2. Drain asparagus and cut into 1-inch pieces.
3. In a large skillet, melt butter on medium-low heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes while stirring, until softened.
4. Add the rice, salt and pepper and sauté for 2 minutes, while stirring, until the rice is coated with butter. Add the wine and cook for another 2 minutes while stirring, until wine is evaporated.
5. Add a small amount of warm stock (½ cup) and cook, stirring occasionally, until all the stock is absorbed. Continue to gradually add the stock while stirring occasionally until the rice is al-dente (20 minutes).
6. Add the heavy cream, asparagus and rocket and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until most of the liquid has absorbed into the rice. Taste and season accordingly.
7. Remove from heat and serve with fresh parmesan.