I especially love these cookies, not because they are extremely addictive (ok, maybe partially), but because the fact that they are simply "savior cookies" – that's how I call these cookies- one of the steps of preparation, just before baking, calls for freezing the dough (don’t worry, it actually gives them an advantage- you don’t need to roll out the dough), and once freezing the cookies are semi-ready. When guests pop by unexpectedly, or when you have an intense sweet craving, you just take the dough out of the freezer, slice to circles and bake immediately. In 20 minutes, you have fresh baked crispy and sweet cookies, without any hassle.
You probably asked yourselves why should I have a cookie dough "log" in my freezer? Well, it's because I don’t take chances and always double the ingredients and make two logs, one that I bake right away and one that I keep in my freezer when I need a "savior".
Ingredients for 20 cookies:
- ⅔ cup (90 grams) all purpose flour
- ½ cup (100 grams) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 heaping tablespoon cocoa
- ½ cup (35 grams) ground coconut
- 3.5 ounces (100 grams) butter, softened (take the butter out of the fridge about two hours before making the cookies. In the summer months, one hour ahead is enough)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup sliced almonds (you can substitute any nut of your choice)
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, coconut, butter and vanilla extract until sticky dough is formed. Add the almonds and mix until they are well combined into the dough.
- Roll the dough into a log with a diameter of about 1½ inches (4 cm.). Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least an hour.
- Heat the oven to 330° F (165° C).
- Remove the log from the freezer and using a sharp knife, slice the log into ½ cm. slices (if the dough was in the freezer for longer than one hour, wait about 10 minutes before slicing).
- Arrange the cookies on two baking sheets lined with cookie sheets. The cookies will expand during baking, so make sure to leave about 3 cm. space between each cookie.
- Bake for around 20 minutes until the cookies are slightly golden and crispy on the edges (they are soft in the middle and will harden while cooling).
- Allow to cool to room temperature and keep in an air-tight container for up to a week.