By: Deanna Linder
Although its roots are in Austria, the schnitzel can officially be considered one of the national foods of Israel, right up there with hummus and falafel. On any given moment on a Friday night, I would guesstimate that at least 75% of Israeli mothers are serving their families with freshly fried schnitzel. (The other 25% serve schnitzel on weekdays, keeping the Friday night dinner clear of the fried delight).
A few weeks ago, Danya and I were in the middle of a photo shoot when she turns to me and says, “I ran out of bread crumbs just before I was going to fry my schnitzel and so I left the chicken in the egg marinade overnight and fried it the next day. It turned out to be the best schnitzel I ever made”.
I looked her. Really? This is something you just discovered, I asked.
I have been marinating my schnitzel now for some time. We tried to figure out if the general population was more like Danya or more like me on this matter.
Fast forward a few weeks. We...
Continue reading →