Zucchini, Corn and Parmesan Patties (Levivot)
December 10, 2009
When Hanukkah comes along it legitimizes frying foods and eating levivot (the Hebrew word for patties )- without the guilt. For a Hanukkah opener I chose this winning version of levivot which always come with praise – Zucchini, Corn and Parmesan Levivot , from my cookbook “Holidays”. Make sure to use firm zucchini in this recipe- zucchini’s contain a lot of water- the firmer the zucchini, the less liquid will come out. It is important to strain the zucchini, once it’s grated, of all its liquid (even straining twice) and to strain the corn kernels as well. One last tip- before you fry all of the patties and only then figure out that salt is missing-make a small “sample” patty, fry in the pan, taste and then salt and pepper according to taste. These patties are served here with an easy tomato salsa, which is a refreshing match to the fried patties. Who said there’s only fried fatty foods at our Hanukkah party?
Next week- Sweet Pear, Almond and Cinnamon Patties- Happy Hanukkah!
Ingredients for 18 patties:
- 1 small can corn (340 grams, 12 oz.), thoroughly drained of liquid
- 2 medium zucchinis, coarsely grated and thoroughly drained of liquid
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1½ oz. (40 grams, ¼ cup + 1 teaspoon), all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together the corn, zucchini, eggs, flour and parmesan. Add salt and pepper and mix well.
- Heat ½ cm. canola oil in a skillet on medium heat and using a large spoon, take a spoonful of batter, and fry on both sides until golden.
- Once the patties are ready, let them cool on paper towels for at least 5 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature. It’s recommended to serve with tomato salsa (recipe below). You can prepare the patties a day before and store in the fridge. Before serving heat them up for a few minutes in a preheated oven at 350°F (180° C).
- Tomato Salsa– mix together in a bowl: 4 ripe tomatoes cut into very small cubes, half a red onion chopped finely, half a hot pepper chopped finely, 1 garlic clove, finely chopped, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, ¼ cup chopped cilantro, salt and pepper. Taste and season as necessary.