I came back a week ago from the very cold Berlin, with the intention of posting winter recipes, but once I landed back our very warm country (Israel), I realized the winter recipes will have to wait. So until the “real” winter arrives, here’s a recipe for the most popular potato salad- aka Kartoffelsalat. The Germans don’t miss a chance to serve this salad as a side dish along with main courses from schnitzel to fish, and there are many different versions of this salad. The one here is my favorite version. If you serve this a side dish along with a main course it should feed up to 6 people, but if the salad is served on its own then it should serve 2-4 people according to their hunger level.
Ingredients for 2-6 servings:
- 2 pound (1 kilo) fingerling potatoes, thoroughly washed. Potatoes are easy to peel after they are cooked- the skin just slides off and the potato stays whole.
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced into circles
- ¼ cup chives, roughly chopped or two green onions sliced into thin rings
For the sauce:
- 7 oz. (200 grams) sour cream (using low fat will change the flavor of the recipe)
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar. For those who don’t love vinegar you can use only ¼ cup. I like the sweet taste of the vinegar, which adds a nice contrast to the spicy mustard, but you can also use white wine vinegar.
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 heaping teaspoon of mustard powder. Mustard powder can be bought in specialty stores if not found in regular supermarkets.
- Salt and pepper
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a large bowl and set aside for later use. The mustard powder needs time to fully dissolve, and the spiciness of the mustard comes out only after a half hour- so that’s why the sauce is made even before cooking the potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot filled with water and 1 tablespoon of salt until they are soft, but still slightly firm. Transfer potatoes to strainer.
- Allow the potatoes to chill for few minutes (not too much, they need to stay warm) and then peel the potatoes.
- Slice the potatoes into 1 cm. circles and place in a bowl and add the cucumbers and chives.
- Pour the sauce on top of the salad, mix until combined. Taste and season as necessary.